Welcome!

Welcome to Setz's Blog for Assistive Technology!

Check out my other blog "Tadpole teachers"


and also my blog on Visually Impairment

http://aslstfx.blogspot.ca/



Thursday 10 May 2012

Class Blog 6

Hi everyone,
I had a few extra minutes today at school so I decided to log on to reflect about last nights class.  I really enjoyed the power points that our three classmates gave on the templates of Assistive Technology.  I was a bit worried about choosing the four models because when I started to conduct my research I quickly realized that there were a lot more then four models.
I feel that it was extremely relevant for us to research the models because it gave an idea of how to use different formats in the situation we are dealing with.  I often wondered how students were assigned assistive technology.  Now I feel that I have a better understanding of how to come together as a team to decide which works best for an individual.
I especially liked watching Youtube videos that Dr.Joy Zabala has put on.  She help design the SETT model and really explains what/why/how to use it.  I will post a link to a Youtube video that I added to my powerpoint last night.





Another interesting link that I found when researching is The Georgia Project Video Collection.  This is a really great website that not only describes the Georgia Framework but also gives a huge collection of video resources on Assistive Technology.

http://www.valdosta.edu/coe/ecre/ATRB/Video_Tips.htm


Scherer Model:
I really liked the layout of this chart.  I found it especially easy to read and follow.  The check marking system is a great idea because I find that sometimes when teachers are given an evaluation to complete on a student it can become a very lengthy and wordy process.  This makes it easier on all involved. It did remind me of the SETT framework that I researched.  Both have an easy table to follow and give you an accurate visual to see.

Karen Morrison Article:
I found this article to be interesting because it was like looking into a mirror of everything that I have been feeling over the past 15 years of teaching with regards to Assistive Technology.  I also felt like I have been left out of the loop when it comes to implementation.  I knew nothing about was was available, how to find out or even where to go to get information.  I also knew that there were programs and assistance out there somewhere but thought that the Resource teacher was in charge of assigning it.  The thought of doing it on my own was very overwhelming.
Morrison states, "Lack of teacher time, limited training, access to support service, limited leadership and lack of a common vision or rationale for ACT use are commonly sited problems."  This pretty much sums up how I was feeling. In her article she also discusses how no one is actually trained in AT to help implement the technology, which really scared me.  In this day in and age School Boards should be spending the money to have staff members who are know what is out there and be willing to guide the teachers along.  There should also be money available for "re-training" to allow teaches to keep up with the new information that is constantly evolving.
I enjoyed Morrison's discussion in the article on how teachers need to understand the importance of the technology in order for it to be used in the classroom.  If AT is seen as just a baby sitter for a student while the rest of the class is doing something else then it is not important.  Once teachers beleive that it is useful and needed in the classroom than educators will look for more technology and acutally use it.  Morrison also discusses the need for ongoing evaluation.  I thought that this was also important because if a child is using a certain AT at the begining of the year they should be reevaluated later to see if that technology is still useful or if they should move on to something else.
Great article!


No comments:

Post a Comment